Top 5 Tips to Beat the Heat
We’re deep in to the dog days of summer, and many states in the U.S. have had unusually high temperatures these last few months. But summer isn’t over yet. Here are our top five tips to beat the heat:
- Hydrate. According to the Dr. Jennifer Caudle of the Weather Channel, one should avoid sugary drinks and stick to water when outside in the heat. She states that beverages high in sugar content can actually make dehydration worse.
- Wear sandles. Caudle further explains that 25% of our sweat glands are in our feet, so wearing sandles as opposed to sneakers can keep feet cooler.
- Wear loose-fitting, light-colored clothes. The Red Cross suggests that one should avoid dark clothing as it absorbs the sun’s heat. And loose-fitting clothing helps with air flow around the body.
- Eat “watery” fruit. Fruits like watermelon, grapes, and oranges are perfect for hydration and hunger in the heat. Caudle suggests freezing fruit for an even cooler tasty treat.
- Towel off. One of our Top 10 Father’s Day Gift Ideas for 2012 was the Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad Cooling Towel. Just wet the towel and it cools you down without getting YOU wet.
What do you think of our tips to beat the heat? Do you have a tip of your own? Leave us your ideas in the comments section below.